- To research and discuss capital markets issues affecting the management and governance of Canadian public sector REITs and REOCs in the commercial real estate industry and engage government as appropriate.
Environmental, Social & Governance
- To establish a broad industry framework that supports the environmental, social and governance needs of the Canadian real property community. To draw insight from a community of experts when trying to set priorities and influence policies, and to be a forum at which to exchange ideas and promote best practices.
Financial Best Practices
- To monitor Canadian generally accepted accounting principles applicable to the real estate industry; to monitor U.S. and international accounting standards; to recommend changes when necessary to the REALPAC IFRS and ASPE Handbooks; and to monitor financial reporting rules and policies issued by security regulators in Canada and the U.S.
- To advance the governance, regulatory environment, and best practices for real estate funds, plan sponsors and fund managers, to advance research and standards of interest to funds, plan sponsors and fund managers, and increase the real estate market transparency in Canada through independent and comparable performance analysis with investors, managers, consultants, and occupiers.
- To share best practices within the professional human resources community, discuss issues related to professional development, and share information related to compensation-related surveys.
- To enable organizational development, a more thoughtful approach to identifying problems, awareness of disruptions to the marketplace, consideration of technological and non-technological solutions to such problems, and awareness of risks and opportunities in doing so. Included in the mandate is the review of technology available to the industry, based on an informed context around innovation generally, and adoption issues specifically.
- To provide a forum for members to connect, exchange ideas, consider data and best practice needs, discuss advocacy issues, consider education and training, and keep abreast of emerging trends. It is intended that the Lender Committee be self-directing to some extent, focusing on what is of greatest interest to members.
REALPAC/IPD Canada Quarterly Property Index
- To increase real estate market transparency in Canada through independent and comparable performance analysis with investors, managers, consultants and occupiers via the MSCI/REALPAC Canada Annual Property Index (Unfrozen), the MSCI/REALPAC Canada Quarterly Property Fund Index (Unfrozen), and the MSCI/REALPAC Canada Quarterly Green Property Index (Unfrozen).
- To identify research priorities and advise REALPAC on areas/topics of importance for the Canadian real estate industry where research may be needed. To provide opportunities for networking, collaboration, and discussion between academics and practitioners in real estate research. To promote high standards of real estate research in Canada and to communicate research findings as broadly as possible.