Each year, Altus Group, in partnership with REALPAC, benchmark and analyze property tax rates of major urban centres across Canada to identify the ratios of tax rates between commercial and residential properties.
The findings of this report are used to create dialogue with taxing authorities about tax fairness, influence public policy and promote a healthy business environment for the real estate sector.
The report covers:
Commercial-to-residential ratios of 10 major urban centres across Canada
Year-over-year commercial to residential tax rate activity
2003-2018 trend analysis
A look at the variation between Canadian residential and multi-residential tax ratios
• Managing provincial and national environmental strategies to ensure a manageable approach
• Updating government policies to allow faster development approvals at a reasonable cost
• Supporting policies that put all asset types on equal footing through the planning process
• Eliminating unnecessary government interventions in housing markets
This policy backgrounder examines the efficacy of rent control policy as a component of the Ontario government’s housing strategy.
REALPAC’s findings indicate that new rent control measures reduce the feasibility of new purpose-built construction, increase the cost of rents for new tenants, increase development risk, and erode the property rights of landowners. They further limit the number and quality of units in many jurisdictions in which they’re instituted.
This white paper represents a multi-month research effort that investigated the efficacy of inclusionary zoning as a housing supply tool, as well its wider impacts on the real estate market.
Current Ontario Inclusionary Zoning requirements provide only shallow affordability benefits while creating an inconsistent regulatory framework that leaves the municipalities in charge. This white paper features analysis of the many components of this issue and includes recommendations in consideration of market adaptability and ownership viability.
• Determining appropriate policies relating to the regulation and management of funds and
• Monitoring and building awareness and knowledge of international standards relating to
regulation and management of funds, REITs and other industry best practices.
Contact Brooks Barnett, Director, Government Relations & Policy, 416.642.2700 x224