The objective of this one-day course is to learn the institutional and economic context for commercial real estate investment and development in Canada, understand the main transaction types, and to learn how to practically apply real estate investment analysis in undertaking those transactions. Students will gain an understanding of real estate cash flows and risks of different property types, and the main risk management techniques in those transaction types.
• Basic Real Estate economics
• Law & Regulation – interests in land, title & tenure, planning, zoning and land use
• Basic valuation principles, financial leverage and the capital stack
• Creating proformas, choosing and applying discount rates and terminal cap rates on investment properties
• Investment analysis of development properties
• Structuring acquisitions, leases, and mortgages
• What to fight for in a purchase and sale negotiation
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
• Understanding the various approaches to valuation and their flaws
• Understanding the drivers of revenue and expenses
• Understanding an owner’s ability to improve cash flow or limit risks to cash flow
• Understanding the legal fundamentals involved in real estate investment
• Understanding the impact of financing on income producing investments
• Understanding how value is created through successful development
• How risk is transferred through properly structured agreements.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
• Mid-career professionals who want to broaden out their knowledge or exposure
• Mid-career and senior executives new to the real estate industry
• Directors of real estate companies
• Lenders to real estate
• Regulators, including urban planners and engineers
• Real estate professionals interested in understanding the context of their business
• Real estate agents looking for a broader understanding
• Those beginning their careers in real estate
Joseph Shaw, CFA, Managing Director, Real Estate Investments, Manulife Financial
Michael Brooks, CEO, REALPAC
DATE & TIME
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
9AM - 5PM
FOOD & BEVERAGE
Continental breakfast available at registration. Lunch will be served. Refreshments offered during morning and afternoon breaks.
Register by Friday, March 1 for Early Bird Pricing ($100 Savings!)
REALPAC Member Company*: $895.00 Non-Member Company: $995.00
*To determine if your company is a REALPAC Member, click here.
REALPAC reserves the right to cancel course offerings based on low attendance numbers for 100% refund on registration fees only. Participant cancellations must be received in writing, at least five business days prior to the event for a 75% refund. Substitutions are permitted.
REALPAC ACCESSIBILITY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICY
In fulfilling our mission, REALPAC is committed to providing its goods and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our goods and services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other customers. If you require alternative means of communication (e.g., TTY, relay services, etc.), require assistive devices, or will be accompanied by a service animal and/or support person(s), please let us know. To view the REALPAC Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities Customer Service Policy, please click here.
CONSENT TO USE OF PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES
Registration and attendance at, or participation in, REALPAC professional development, events, meetings and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant for REALPAC to use and distribute (both now and in the future) the registrant or attendee's image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions, and audiotapes of such events and activities.